My wife and I like attending festivals throughout the year and we recently enjoyed the day at one.  We delight in the entertainment and marvel at the creativeness some people have.

As a writer, you might say my mind is in constant motion.  I notice things others overlook and at that Festival I saw a granite monument of the Ten Commandments on the corner of the downtown square.  I won’t mention what town it was because I don’t want to give the ACLU, or any other like-minded organization, the satisfaction of knowing where it was, but I was struck that someone hadn’t made an effort to have it removed.

About a week later someone said I should watch the movie “Last Ounce Of Courage.”  I did so and walked away with a reinforced feeling our freedoms are being slowly stripped.  I’ve never been to a movie where the audience stood to applaud at the end, but several did at that one.

A swirl of emotions consumed me for days after that and I began to study the Ten Commandments and the Constitution our forefathers so wisely construed.

When our Nation’s forefathers penned, “We’re endowed with certain inalienable rights by the Creator” we all know what they were talking about, but there’s an erosion going on caused by those who don’t believe in such things.  There are those who think the Constitution is just some outdated parchment.  Those same like-minded individuals believe the Ten Commandments are just an old dusty plaque.

What you’re seeing throughout the land are citizens who are growing tired of the erosion and they’re taking a stand in defiance of it all.

The Obama administration promotes spreading the wealth around, but that’s contradictory to the Creator’s standard.  The Occupy Wall Street Movement was endorsed by the administration.  Its premise was the top 1% of earners in the United States should have their wealth taken and redistributed among the other 99%.  We now know that movement was anything but what it was first portrayed.

Pitting citizens against each other with Class Warfare, redistributing wealth and other like-minded notions of the administration is repulsive to many.

The eighth commandment says: “Thou shalt not steal.”  But if the government forcibly takes from the top 1% and redistributes it to the masses that’s contrary to capitalism and from a realistic standpoint it’s theft.

The last commandment states:  Thou shall not covet your neighbor’s status, their spouse, or possessions.  But that’s contrary to what the current administration promotes as well.

What we have is a small minority who want to inflict their will upon the people and that’s a foreign ideology to Americans.  America was founded upon a quite different ideology than that.  It was founded upon the principle that individuals are free to be that which they dream of.  Scores from around the world have come here to dare dream.

I was born in a nation free of tyranny.  As a child I was free to grow.  As a teen I was free to hang with my friends.  And as an adult I was free to work, support my family, and have a creative future absent poverty.  I was free to start a business, and I did.  I was free to be the founder of a nonprofit organization, and I did.  And most of all I was free to speak as a nationally syndicated columnist, and I have.

I’ve always said: “You can be whatever you wanna be” in this great land.   But for the government to hand out an inordinate amount of freebies to the 99% no doubt constitutes a blatant disregard for the Creator’s script and those ten most precious principles. It’s theft from an honest taxpayer and covetousness by those recipients who have a deluded notion they deserve it.

When you hear rants and raves of those wanting what others have don’t succumb to the notion Covetousness is normal.  Covet isn’t a word you often hear, but what you’re seeing throughout the land is an electorate fed up with that path they’re being nudged towards.

You might say we’re seeing the birth of a crusade: “The Thou Shalt Not Covet The Other Guy’s Stuff Movement.”

Greg Allen’s column, Thinkin’ Out Loud, was published bi-monthly from 2009 to 2017.  He’s an author, a former nationally syndicated columnist and the founder of Builder of the Spirit Ministries in Jamestown, Indiana.  He can be reached at www.builderofthespirit.org.

© Greg Allen ~ All Rights Reserved